Report Templates in Timely are a must-have, especially if you use recurring reports that you send out daily, weekly or monthly. Templates will be your go-to for quickly accessing and sharing any report.
In this article, we'll show you how to create a report from scratch to save for future use, or export and share with your team and clients.
Creating a new report template 👶
All of the report templates you’ve created can be found at the top of the page when you head to the Reports tab. *Admins are able to see all the reports created within a workspace in addition to their own.
To create a new report template from scratch, click the green “New report” button in the top-right corner:
The very first thing you’ll do when creating a new report template is give it a name - you won’t be able to save until you’ve done so. Adding a description is optional, and helps you quickly identify or differentiate your reports.
Customizing your data set with filters 🎛
Filters allow you to select the exact data set you're looking to review. You’ll find the five main inputs for filters right under the title of the report.
- Select a timeframe for your reports. You can drill down to a day or week, select an entire month, or apply any custom date range you feel like.
- Select which users you want to report on, which can include both active and deleted users. Use the "All" option to quickly select all users in your workspace.
- Select which clients and projects you want to report on. You can select from active or archived projects to either drill down to a specific project or select "All" to review all logged activity across your projects for the timeframe you set.
*Tip: Use the search field to quickly find the client or project you want to report on.
- Select different tags to see where you've been spending your time. Read more on how to create tags.
- Choose to include billed or unbilled hours only, or both together. Read more about marking hours Billed.
Selecting your widgets 👆🏾
- Bar Chart 📊
- Ideal for visualizing logged hours over time
- Available for the Hours widget
- Click the Settings gear to adjust the scale of the chart by day, week, month, year or default (the optimal view for displaying your data, based on the time range selected)
- Add a median line to visualize the average
- Donut Chart 🍩
- Ideal for visualizing money or hours by client or project
- Available for Clients and Projects widgets
- The chart colors are based on your project colors
- Table Chart ⌗
- Provides the most robust view of your data
- Available for Projects, Clients, People and Tags
- Use the Settings option in the upper-right-hand corner of the widget to add or remove date, timestamp, tags and notes from individual entries
*Note: The Settings option is not available for Clients widget.
Sharing and exporting your report 📦
Once you’ve customized your report, click "Save Report" in the upper-right-hand corner of the page. Now you’re ready to share your report or export it to PDF, Excel or CSV.
When you're ready to report or review this data set again, just select the report template name from the Reports main page to jump right in where you left off.