Understanding if people are working on the right tasks can make or break your business. If 40% of all employee hours are spent on non-billable projects, but your company needs to log 80% to billable projects, resources need to be reallocated to ensure everyone is on course to reach your company goals.
Capacity is a visualization of all the billable and non-billable projects your users worked on, against their total weekly capacity. You'll find this feature on the People page > "All Users" tab.
Customize the Capacity feature
1: Set total weekly hours for your account ⏱
The default weekly total is set to 40 hours, but you can change it across your whole account in Settings > Workspace.
Of course, not all team members will have the same weekly capacity. If you have consultants or part-time employees, you can also set their weekly capacity individually. Just head to the People page, select the user you want to edit, and scroll down to “Projects and hourly rates” to set their individual capacity.
Note: Setting an individual capacity will override your default workspace capacity setting. Capacity values will only update from the start of the current week and will not affect previous weeks in Timely. Individual capacity is only available to users on the Unlimited plan.
2: Select the time frame you want to see 🕕 🖼
Select monthly or weekly capacity timeframe from the "All Users" tab on the People page. A weekly capacity view can help you schedule upcoming events, while the monthly view helps identify employees close to burn-out and those who aren’t consistently logging hours.
Step 3: Select the User 👨🏽🦲🧑🏼👩🏽🦱
By default, all active users will be listed. To filter down by User name, click the users drop-down and select who you want to see. Toggle to the ‘Team’ tab to select from your list of Teams or grouped users.
Entering a User or Team name in the search bar will auto-populate available selections for you.
4: Reading the results 📚
In the upper-right-hand corner of the chart, you’ll see the total logged hours and available capacity for all users on the account.
You’ve selected your database of users, now let’s explain what you’re looking at.
You’ll see a variety of colors on the Capacity bar representing various user activities:
Total bar area: Total weekly capacity
Dark blue: Hours logged to billable projects
Light blue: Hours logged to non-billable projects
Red: Overtime or all hours (billable and non-billable) logged over the capacity limit
Pro-tip: Hover over the bar to reveal the details of each color in the bar.
Using this information, I can see that this user spent all their hours on billable project and worked almost an hour of overtime for the week. This means they’ve likely logged all their hours for the week.
Step 5: Plan for the Future ⏩
Let’s say you’re pursuing a new client and need to understand if you have capacity for more work. You also need to give the client a realistic expectation of project delivery speed.
Let’s break-down this example to see if my company can take on a new project:
Pulling up the Capacity data from last week, I can see that my team -as a whole- logged just under our available weekly capacity.
Derek logged close to 30 hours (10 hours short of a normal working week). A peek at the office calendar shows me that he was out of the office on Friday and forgot to log his lunch on Wednesday. I can add vacation hours and a lunch to his timesheet, bringing his weekly total to closer to his 40 hour weekly capacity.
Ava logged a little over a complete working week, with 59% of her time spent on billable projects and the other 41% was spent on non-billable projects.
Clicking her name directs me to her User page. After analyzing her recently logged hours, I realize she spent a majority of his time on product training and is now ready to pitch in on billable projects. I just found the key to unlocking more billable hours!
Step 6: Schedule resources 📆
Using the data from the Capacity feature, Admin and Manager level users can schedule hours for other users with Timely’s Company View feature. You can set aside hours for an incoming project, ensure a certain user will finish a particular project by its deadline, or log vacation hours for employees who are out of the office!
Now you’re running like a well-oiled machine!