Custom reports in Timely are a must-have, especially if you use recurring reports that are sent out daily, weekly or monthly. In this article, we'll show you how to create a report from scratch to save for future use or export and share with your team or clients.
Creating a new report 👶
All of the custom reports you’ve created can be found at the top of the page when you head to the Reports tab. *Admins are able to see all the reports created within a workspace in addition to their own.
To create a new report from scratch, click the green “New report” button in the top-right corner.
The very first thing you’ll do when creating a new report is give it a name – you won’t be able to save until you’ve done so. Adding a description is optional, and helps you quickly identify or differentiate your reports.
Customizing your data set with filters
Filters allow you to select the exact data set you're looking to review. You’ll find the five main inputs for filters right under the title of the report.
1) Select a timeframe for your reports. You can drill down to a day or week, select an entire month, or apply any custom date range you feel like.
2) Select which users you want to report on, which can include both active and deleted users. By default, “Anyone” is selected, meaning that all users that fit the other filters are brought into the report. Click to select individual users who are active or deleted to add them individually. If you need to start over, click the “X” that appears over the filter to clear it.
3) Select which clients and projects you want to report on. Much like users, “Any project” is selected by default, meaning all projects are pulled in as a part of the filters. You can select from active or archived projects to drill down to a specific project.
*Tip: Use the search field to quickly find the client or project you want to report on. Keep in mind that in order to report on individual projects, you’ll also need to have the client selected as well. For instance, if you search for a project and unselect the client, all projects linked to that client will be unselected. Specifically select or deselect the project to just remove it from your filter.
4) Select different tags to see where you've been spending your time. Follow the same principles for adding tags to a report as you would with users, clients and projects. Read more on how to create tags.
5) Choose to include billed or unbilled hours only, or both together. Read more about marking hours “Billed”.
Selecting your widgets ☝️
- Bar Chart 📊
- Ideal for visualizing logged hours over time
- Available for Hours widget
- Click the Settings gear to adjust the scale of the chart by day, week, month, year or default (the optimal view for displaying your data, based on the time range selected)
- Add a median line to visualize the average
- Donut Chart 🍩
- Ideal for visualizing money or hours by client or project
- Available for Clients and Projects widgets
- The chart colors are based on your project colors
- Table Chart ⌗
- Provides the most robust view of your data
- Available for Projects, Clients, People and Tags
- Use the Settings* option in the upper right-hand corner of the widget to add or remove date, timestamp, tags and notes from individual entries
*Note: the Settings option is not available for the Clients widget.
Sharing and exporting your report 📦
When you're ready to report or review this data set again, just select the name of the report from the Dashboard tab in Reports to jump right in where you left off.